Thursday, May 6, 2010

I love it when it I hear great news!

Well readers, as I told you before, I am currently working on starting my own business somewhat travel-related geared towards people getting married - destination weddings and honeymoons. I can't get into too much detail just yet, but I promise you'll be the first to know when I go live :).

The biggest downer about my future company was when I got a less than appeasing estimate from a web developer about what I wanted to do with my website. Unfortunately, my idea does not allow me to have a simple "point and click" type website where a customer can pick an item, it goes into a shopping cart, and then they enter their credit card information. My idea is a service at which the website allows people to create logins, have their own ability to make changes, and even have their own website in my website. Obviously, I couldn't pick something easy. I had a sneaking suspicion this web developer thought I was trying to do some massive web interface stuff like Expedia, Travelocity, etc. which I am definitely NOT. So when he quoted me some figure of "no less than $100K", I choked. Actually, I almost swallowed my tongue. This is what had me throwing out my resume because I decided that I needed income again...especially if I were looking at taking a small business loan.

After a couple of weeks of letting the entrepreneurial setback sink in, I was hit with an epiphany yesterday. I had hired an E-Commerce web developer guy to do a project with me while back at my previous job. Why did I not think of him??? So I shot him an email last night to set up a conference call. After a lovely two-hour discussion of what my business idea was, how I wanted to set up my website, and how I would separate myself from all the other small travel companies, he was impressed. Impressed, I said! He told me that he can set up my website based on my budget. He works with three specific budget brackets: $1-3K, $3-6K, and $6-10K. Of course I wanted to lean closer to the first bracket, but in all honesty of what I want, he believed I wouldn't go any higher than the bracket between $3-6K. Now that is more like it! He was shocked that the other guy quoted me such a ridiculous amount of money. He agreed that the first guy must have completely misunderstood what I was trying to do...that's what I get for going to a guy who does web development "on the side".

This bit of news had me jumping for joy! $3-6K sounds sooooo much better than "no less than $100K"!!! So my web developer is going to do some research, build it for me, and walk me through it next week to see what I like and don't like. He's also putting me in touch with some graphics guys to help with my logo. I have the idea for the logo but am not artistically inclined to do it myself. Effing YAY! Anyway, I know this is all cryptic to you readers since you're still not sure what I plan to do, but keep in mind that it means I'm a HUGE step closer to getting my own company off the ground.

No comments: